Wednesday, 18 June 2014

Time Out

I've been taking a little time out over the last few weeks, partly to refresh my batteries and partly to get ideas for some new workshops for Craft Arena. at the beginning of June I spent a fabulous five days in Amersham with Jamie Malden and Beryl Taylor at Colouricious; this week I've been at Art Van Go with Clive Barnett.

I thought I'd taken more photos than this at the Clive Barnett workshop, but I'm back again on Thursday to undertake more work with the printed fabric (some of which I need to stitch before I get there), so I'll post more once that is done. These monoprinted samples were made onto cotton and linen fabric using a very special type of discharge paste - dishwasher detergent! 



Monoprinting with discharge paste
Hanging out to dry!
The Beryl Taylor workshops were brilliant! The first two days were spent working with paper; not my favourite medium, but I managed to incorporate some stitch! You can see below the results of our work. I haven't finished the book yet - it's on my To Be Completed pile!


Block printed papers
Book pages in progress
Finished pages 1
Finished pages 2
 Following the paper book, we started on a fabric book. Much more me, although Beryl's work gave us a lot to live up to.


Beryl's Work 1
Beryls Work 2
Beryl's Work 3
Beryl's Work 4
Beryl's Work 5
Beryl's Work 6
Isn't it sensational?

We started off by background printing fabric using paint and Gelli plates, which I had used before without much success, but with Beryl's guidance I managed to get the hang of it. We included the use of stencils and stamps, overprinting and creating motifs to add to our work later.
Background printing 1
Background printing 2
The next two days were spent overprinting, using moulding paste through stencils, playing with puff paint, air dry clay pressed into the blocks, Tyvek, thread, ribbon and beads to put together our book.


Book Cover

Pages 1
Pages 2


Pages 3
Pages 4
Pages 5
Pages 6
I've spent the time since I got back enhancing the pages and putting them together. There is still a lot to do, and I'll show you more once I've finished. If you get a chance to go on a workshop with either Beryl or Clive do go, you won't regret it. I know Clive is holding a workshop for Chelmsford Embroiderers Guild later in the year, so look out for that.

I'm back at Art Van Go tomorrow (Thursday). Unfortunately I couldn't get cover for the studio so Craft Arena will be closed for the day. My apologies if this causes any inconvenience. 

Denise

Post a Comment