Friday, 20 December 2013

Christmas sorting

The problem with me is that my mind wanders. I usually start one project, then something else catches my attention and move on to something else. I did a psychometric test once, the result said that I'm a starter, not a finisher; spot on! My UFO (unfinished object) box is rather large. (Well, actually it's three boxes!)


I have been having a sort out in the run-up to Christmas, and have finally finished some work, some of it started years ago. This is a piece based on a design from the Warner Textile Museum which I was supposed to complete for an exhibition several years ago. I started, but hadn't finished it. I have needlefelted scrim and wool tops to a cotton background and used organza, Lutradur, machine-wrapped cord and beads for embellishment. 


Next is a constructed fabric sketch book cover made with tissue paper, satin fabric, machine stitch, more machine-wrapped cord and beads. I made the fabric before I decided what to do with it, and tried various methods to hold the book in place before trying a thick webbing which I painted to match the cover. To give you an idea of size, it holds an A6 sketchbook.


These little note books have been made from Vilene, paper and Tyvek with hand stitching. I made them as samples for a workshop but decided to do a little more work to them.


The final piece was made from samples of felt from a colour chart. I free machined them to Evolon then stitched on matching buttons.

I'm now feeling very smug, but there are still two and a half boxes to go!
Post a Comment