Wednesday, 3 August 2011

The End

Well, for better or worse, it's finished. I can't say this has been the most enjoyable piece of work I've done, and I'm not particularly pleased with it, but it's done at last.

 This was the last piece I needed to finish for my City and Guilds Diploma in Embroidery, and it has been a bit of a slog. My tutor is coming over tomorrow to sign it off, so I hope I've done enough!  This was my site specific; it had to be designed with a specific place in mind. I chose an Olympic theme to be hung in the new sporting village in Basildon. Of course, it won't really end up there, but don't tell anyone!

There are two layers; the first is Evolon on which I've stamped and applied text and pictorial elements. The verse is from the Olympic Hymn. The top sheet is Lutradur Crash on which I've stitched a Greek Key symbol in gold, silver and bronze and figures using transfer paint and stitched in gold. Not sure you will be able to see it though. I've used machine stitching exclusively on this. It was hard to resist adding some hand stitching, and I think that's been one of the problems with it. The size was also outside my comfort zone - I prefer working a lot smaller. All I've got to worry about now is whether I pass or not. Not long to wait!

Post a Comment