Monday, 28 March 2011

Weekend Away

Just got back from my weekend away with Ray to Birmingham, where I managed to persuade him to accompany me to the Sewing for Pleasure/Fashion Embroidery & Stitch/Hobbycrafts show at the NEC. He said he enjoyed himself!

There were lots of wonderful displays from many wonderful textile groups, including smallChat where I met up with Christina Brazier who was displaying some of her work as part of this group. I also saw Lynda Monk, although I was disappointed that there were no spaces left on her workshop I managed to get a place on one by Wendy Cotterill where we played with Evalon. I'll try and scan this in when I get a chance.

The highlight of the show though, was an exhibition of work by Ollivier Henry.

Monsieur Henry is and embroiderer, teacher and costume designer, making all by hand these wonderful dresses, inspired by history. I've shown a close-up of some of the work - it is exquisite! I asked how long it took him to make one, but he said he had no idea! He just starts and carries on until he has finished. I know what he means, I'm much the same, I just wish my work was as inspiring!

I also chatted with some of my suppliers, including Sarah Lawrence of Craftynotions, and I was one of the first five people to her stand that morning, so I won a bag of goodies after telling her the password of the day.

I managed to spend some money; I've bought a couple of spinning whorls and fibres so I can learn to spin - I've always fancied having a go at this. If I get on OK, I may have to add a spinning wheel to my Christmas list!

This is a great show, so if you get the chance to attend next year, jump at it!

Denise
Post a Comment