Saturday, 27 March 2010

Fashion Embroidery and Stitch

On an impulse, I took myself off to the NEC, Birmingham for the Fashion Embroidery and Stitch show on Friday. It is three shows in one, with entry also into Sewing for Pleasure and Hobbycrafts.

I haven't enjoyed a show so much in ages. There was lots of textile art on display. I particularly liked the FibreFusion exhibition, and the Madeira competition entries were wonderful. I've shown my favourite here; reminds me of my childhood! It was actually the winning entry by Sally Wilson of West Yorkshire. Stunning!

I got lots of inspiration for my City and Guilds work, and I think I've solved some of the challenges I was encountering, planning some of my large projects.


I had a trip round the shopping area too, and Sarah Lawrence of Craftynotions gave me some trial pots of her new fabric paints. They come in wonderful colours and I can't wait to have a play. She has lots more new stuff too, and I'll be getting lots of it in soon - keep visiting to find out when it arrives.

I fell to temptation, and bought myself an embellishing machine which should arrive on Tuesday. I've also sourced industrial strength embellishing needles which I shall be ordering soon. I'm really glad I went to this show, and would recommend it - it's on until Sunday if you can get there, but if not, mark it in your diary for next year!

While I was there, I went to a lecture on Devore by Dionne Swift, and had a quick go at her stand afterwards. I've just rinsed the piece out, and will post a picture once I've dyed it. I've always been put off devore by the chemicals, but Dionne has developed her own mix of devore paste and it was very easy to use.

I came back to the new issue of Stitch with the Embroiderers' Guild. This issue has some lovely projects including canvaswork, beading and Bushkiri. There is an article on Carol McFee and Lynda Monk who came to Chelmsford Embroiderers' Guild last month. The most interesting project as far as I am concerned, is the drawn thread sampler on page 20. Yours truly was asked to supply the fabric and threads for this project, so I get a mention at the end of the article. If you would like a project pack, you will have to be quick; they have been more popular than I expected and I only have a couple left. I will be getting more as soon as Jean Oliver, from Oliver Twists, can dye some more scrim - I saw her in Birmingham, and she said she's run out!

Denise
Post a Comment