Friday, 9 October 2009

Ally Pally

I'm back from my annual pilgrimage to the Knitting and Stitching Show where I had a great time! During the morning I took in a demonstration by Jan Beaney on dissolvable film - quite serendipitous as I'd been playing about with some on Thursday evening at my Workout Club. Luckily, most of the samples she talked about I stock in the studio, so no need for me to wait to play!

Keeping on the dissolvable film theme, I also stopped by Diane Bates' stand and saw her latest work. She has moved away from those wonderful textured bodices has just finished a wonderful piece made using dissolvable film, wire and thread. She told me that she started it as she wanted to do something quicker than the clothing she is renowned for, but the panels she created took even longer! To counterbalance that, she is also showing some stitched portraits which are brilliant!


After a little more retail therapy, I did a workshop with Alysn Midgelow Marsden, one of my favourite textile artists. We played with 'tarnished surfaces' and once my sample is dry, I'll post a picture. I also saw several things I'd love to stock in the studio, and will keep you posted as I get them in. I can say that I've bought back samples of some brilliant new stencils and stamping mats from Craftynotions, and hope soon to have some silk perle which sews beautifully - wonderful for Hardanger! I'll also be getting in some new experimental packs from Oliver Twists - just wait until you see the colours!

If you are going to Ally Pally this weekend, have a wonderful time. There is so much to see, especially the textile exhibitions, graduate students work and Art of Stitch. And don't forget to visit the EAST display; some of our local talent showing their work with, and inspired by, the Warner Textile Archive.

Denise
Post a Comment